So this weekend the YMCA alumni event that we have been planning for some time was held. It was a bar-b-que at a church downtown. This is the second time it was held since I started the board a couple of years ago. It amazes me how important just a few years of camp meant to the honorees. We gave awards to 4 people - three that have been working with the Y for years, and one younger leader. It was uplifting and inspiring how much these awards meant to those honored. Just reminded me how much people appreciate recognition. One gentleman who was 85 and had done so much for the organization used the forum to talk about his life and one item he said over and over was that " I was always willing, but not always able" use the time you have now when you are able to fill your dreams.
Sunday I cleaned up the house in preparation to hopefully do some work on it soon and hit the gym to run! In the afternoon, I did something I should have done long ago - see the symphony! For those that do not know, I am a former band nerd, played oboe. :) I loved how the symphony is set up now. They have notes you read along to that talk about the piece being played - more interactive. There was the most amazing violinst that did a solo memorized for 40 minutes! Beethoven's seventh symphony was the highlight. There is another concert coming up that is playing a solo I did years ago - Candide - that I hope to go to as well. http://www.phoenixsymphony.org/
For those interested in my training now.... :) I am happy to report that I have started speed work! The Pat Tillman run is in a couple of months and I am working to get faster at running. After the marathon, it is so nice to be training to run just 4.2 miles. I realize I had run slower thinking I need to conserve energy, but now that I do not have to worry about distance I push myself harder. I am still working with the trainer at least one day a week on weights, and the new initiative is to swim twice a week. My goal is to do a sprint triathlon by the end of the year.
Monday, February 26, 2007
YMCA and Symphony
Posted by Shelly at 9:21 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment